Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy. Happy. Happy 14th.


Fourteen years ago on New Years Evening I stepped off a flight from ten years theater work in Denmark and into the role of Trophy H for MrD. This was Bangkok. 1996. New Years Eve was my choice. I am so bad with remembering anniversaries. There is usually a party in which ever city we find ourselves. Bubbles to make toasts at each other. Forty years old was time for me to settle down. I usually lie about my age. Its cheaper than a face lift and takes less time. I am a truly greatly inspired liar but have an equally true lousy memory. I always add on exactly ten years when asked my age. People usually then compliment you on how well you look. This trick doesn't always work. These can be fun times too. Over the years MrD and I have celebrated our anniversary nights in Thailand. India. Singapore. Brunei. Taiwan. The Philippines. Canada. I don't remember the other destinations. MrD no doubt has an alphabetised list. We seldom stay up for the twelve o'clock countdown. We go to bed early. We sleep early too. The last time we stayed up to twelve midnight was the 1999-2000 year change. MrD is up early to run the empire. I am up even earlier to become the trophy H. Our lovely newly paid for palace in the Vancouver sky this year was the venue. Lots to make toasts about this past year and to the new year. MrD's immigrant visa is in final days this year. He can apply as a Canadian citizen in 269 days of staying in the country. (MrD has a special calender with the days numbered off when he is in and out of the country.) I am not going to reminisce about the past. You know who you are and you know how we each suffered all the bumps and grinds up the path of light. Thank you Shirley Maclean. I forgive us all for everything. All the nooks and crannies. All the lightness and darkness of being in a relationship. It is work. But like a farmer ploughing a field or an artist capturing tomorrow's sunset. It is good work. MrD takes care of me and the empire. I take care of MrD and the details. The luscious details. How did the trophy H celebrate fourteen years with MrD? Matching silver eagle rings by the ever so talented Don Lancaster. Mine baked inside Mrd's favourite creme caramel desert. MrD's ring, which fits perfectly, of course,... in a small red velvet snapped lidded box. I also surprised him with the news that we were having at least three guests and maybe five for luncheon tomorrow when the trophy H had challenged the Porsche guy to a meat loaf cook off. But that's another story. Happy. Happy. Happy. Here's to celebrating the 15Th. That is my only New Year's resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment