Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Romer's Burger Bar


Last month’s burger at the Gathering Place Community Center where I was doing community service in the kitchen was a tasty deal for $2.75 and worth every subsidised penny. This month found me at Romer’s Burger Bar in Kitsalano on West 4th Ave. in Vancouver. I’d read a promising revue in some travel magazine and you, silent reader, knows the Trophy H is always open for suggestions as to where to find good meat. I ordered the customer’s choice called the “Man’s Man Burger”. Sounds like one for the Trophy H I thought. Simple ingredients like apple wood smoked bacon, local cheddar and onion strings sound promising but they all arrive on a brioche bun a bit too large for the size of the patty. The server did not ask me how I like my burger cooked and it was a little too cooked for my liking. There was no pink there to savour. The deep fried onion slivers were not greasy nor were they warm. The tomato slice was thin enough to go unnoticed on my chew meter and the cheddar was fairly nondescript. I guess the bacon was fine but I don’t remember much of it. I think there was a slice of pickle lost somewhere in the shuffle. There was some garlic mayo on the well toasted bun but either there was no kick to it or just not enough to notice. I was left wondering why it was there in the first place on this $11.00 quite regular burger. The $3.00 side of double cooked fries with sea salt were double cooked well enough but over salted with sea salt that was ground so fine it might have just been the regular salt out of the shaker.
Sadly, my silent reader, for this Trophy H, when my next month’s burger craving comes around I won’t be heading to Romer’s. Romer’s three star burger with a side of salty fries clocked in at $15.68 not including tip. Take your Dad but not your date.

No comments:

Post a Comment