Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Trophy H Dish of the Day, August 31, 2010.


The Trophy H Lisa Peach Layer.

MrM and MsL, MrD’s and my own long time acquaintances from Texas came to visit on Sunday. This seasonal peach and salmon appetizer was an easy no fuss no muss and tasty way to start the dining. I have named this simple show stopper after the Lovely MsL. My menu featured two contrasting terrines. The Marvellous MrM’s version got layered roasted peaches with ham and pecorino cheese.

Here’s how.
Inside a metal ring form settle some sliced uncooked peaches with thin slices of the best wild smoked salmon you can source and some fresh goat cheese.

Trophy H kitchen tip #???. Make your own ring form rather than buying one of those 30 dollar rings with a fancy label on it from a kitchen store.

I built this terrine up inside a ring form I made from cutting both ends out of an empty tin can. Tuna fish cans are great. If you make your own tin can version, my silent reader, make sure you bend back the sharp lid edges inside the can so you don’t get injured. Save one of the ends of the can to help release the contents when you are ready to plate.

Start with a layer of the fresh peaches. I skinned the peaches for this version but normally I would leave the skins on for a bit of colour and texture. Add salmon. I used sliced salmon because that is what I had but you, my silent reader, could use salmon ends which I imagine would be cheaper but just as suitable for this dish. After the first layer of salmon add some crumpled goat cheese. I used a plain local cheese, a bit on the soft side, but with no herbs or cute hippy extras. Next I added another layer of salmon and a last few slices of the peaches.
The beauty of this appetizer is it can be made a few hours in advance, so when your own MrD or your guests arrive and its time to plate, you just grab it out of the refrigerator. Remove the terrine by using the tin can lid or a spatula to press out the food onto a cutting board. Slice into wedges like a pie and plate on a bit of micro greens. Throw on a tiny heirloom tomato or three. Splash a tear or two of your really good olive oil over the whole dish. Our guests brought us the best olive oil in Texas but more on that next time.
Then all you need to do is eat enjoy and sit back while the crowd roars your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment