Thursday, September 2, 2010

Philippines Paradise Papaya Pickles. Achara.


Here, my silent reader is your peaceful path to papaya pickle paradise.
This morning I made green papaya and carrot pickles, my Trophy H version of a Filipino favourite called achara and traditionally served as a side with many of their fried savoury dishes. The sourness of palm vinegar with the dark sweetness of palm sugar sets off a surprising mouthful of crunches with the carrots and green papaya. If you can’t find green papaya just use carrots or maybe try hicama.
To make your own quart jar of pickles grate or finely chop half a seeded green mango with about the same amount of carrots. Traditionally Filipinos would only use 5% carrot as a bit of colour in the mix but today I want a new batch with more carrots. OK I am clearing out the vegetable drawer before we fly out tomorrow and I wanted to use up all the carrots. Together in a sauce pan heat 2 cups of palm vinegar with 1 cup of palm sugar and a teaspoon of pickling spices until the sugar completely dissolves. Plain white vinegar and plain white sugar works just as well, my silent reader. Sterilize a clean mason jar in boiling water and filled the empty bottle to the top with the carrots and mango mixed with a handful of raisins. Top off the jar with the hot vinegar and seal with a tight lid. Stand the bottle upside down to cool and then store in the refrigerator. These are worth waiting for. Leave for at least a week but a month is better. I have to hide my achara behind things in the fridge or MrD will whine for me to open them now. MrD has family visiting from Manila in October and I look forward to sharing some of these flavours from home.
Pickles are easy to make. Don’t tell your guests. They will think you are some super hero.
Make your self a batch of these show stopping papaya paradise pickles and open them up to serve alongside your award winning Thanksgiving turkey. The guests will be the ones giving thanks and it will all be to you and of course your pal the Trophy H.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Trophy. I'm just discovering the wonders of green pawpaw - thanks for your easy recipe.
    You do keep referring to it as "mango" throughout the recipe though.

    ReplyDelete