Saturday, January 22, 2011

MrD signs up the Trophy H for a cleanse.

Wow. My week went by with not a dull moment. I promised MrD to fight this disease. Last week was all about stuffing your face with fat and sugar but MrD a hired private nutritionist for some alternative cancer healing.
She has me on a three week cleansing program. The first five days of my cleanse, I have no protein. I drink brewed, juiced and stewed powders at strange and non flattering times of the early morning late evening. MrD loves to play the disciplinarian. I keep a stiff upper lip with the food.
As my reward for surviving the first 5 days and for being able to introduce protein to my meals, I invited MrD, MsB (the nutritionist) out to dine at one of MsB’s favourite restaurants.
Trophy H slips in a complimentary restaurant review “East Meets East” is a South East Asian popular restaurant on West Broadway here in Vancouver. Our party of three arrived at 6:30 without a reservation but their friendly staff found us a table after a short wait. The owner was offering small cups of their delicious chai variations. My soy milk chai spice tea both soothed the pallet and warmed it up for the food. I love when a restaurant takes time to welcome you in a special way.
The three of us each ordered a Tali tasting plate. I chose the wild salmon in a sauce that was mango, but might have been pineapple. My sauce turned out to be not worth remembering. And I would have to mention, my silent reader, that the salmon was overcooked. I loved my dahl, but couldn’t find any cucumber flavour in the raita. My portion of aloo gobi was sadly a little over done. But everything was forgiven. I was out and about. The place was noisy and I was burping protein. I was with MrD and MsB who showed me all week that they were fighting this disease. I had nothing to complain about. Cancer Rocks.
I got some much craved protein introduced into my diet after the 5th day. I got to eat small chunks of my best beloved potato, one of the outlawed veggies in the first act of this 3 week program. MsB comes to our humble abode to demonstrate how to cook the meals, give us tips and answer our many questions. It’s been a while since I sat on a chair in my kitchen, watching someone show me how to cook. I got to eat rice pasta with tomatoes. This period of not being able to eat, what has become part of my life over the years, somehow allowed me to appreciate taste and texture all over again when they were introduced back into my diet.
A soft boiled egg for breakfast was what I craved most so I did a simple rice and egg breakfast. Here is how to make your own. We must concentrate on the ritual of boiling these liquid chickens. The eggs must be boiled for exactly 3 minutes. Take a spoon and recover the eggs from the boiling water to stop the cooking process. Run them under some cold water to cool our lovelies enough to handle.
Heat a little precooked white basmati rice. The eggs get a proper whack with a knife and their golden hearts lavishly oozed over the warm rice. A good grind of course black pepper kissed with a baby pinch of your favourite salt. I would have loved a splash of chopped scallions on top for colour and crunch but we were out.
Each bite will seem better than the last.
So, my silent reader, go hug your brother. I plan to update every Saturday as long as I am up for it.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Chef,

    Nice to read that you taste every single flavor of life. And you are able to go through this diet with high spirits.
    Thank you for sharing so much beauty and strength. You help me, and many of your friends readers I am sure.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. see, you can make anything sound good. eggs, basmati and pepper. with tea? is ginger tea appealing? sassafras seems to not be around too much anymore, except among natives. maybe i should go native. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete