Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A trophy H's letter to my Danish source for stinky cheese.

I just took delivery of 1/2 kilo of prime "Gamle Ole" from Denmark. No this is not wacky tobaccy it is the stinkiest cheese Denmark produces. Bottom line. It smells like the barn. Tastes like Old Ola its name sake. I am sure it was not a political statement about Canada's input to the Global Warming issues in Copenhagen going on now. My cooking and entertaining pals took the trouble to send a vacum packed piece of this Viking wonder and the proper Danish rye bread to cradle the smelly offerings. I facebooked a message. Ulla, with a fabulous career of her own, is also the wife of John the Chef. John just received his own chef jacket with his signature on the jacket. A gift I sent from this trip to Manila. I have had so many truly memorable dinners at their house. They always invited me for Christmas with the family. I can't remember how many times I danced around their jule tree. I miss them. More at Christmas.
They have met MrD and its a mutual admiration society all around. MrD has not had the pleasure of dining at their fabulous Danish home in the Hot new Hellebaek home Bistro John. As a trophy H it is important to rectify this situation. More on that later at another date.

But first the tale of Stinky Old Ole.

1:55pmNeil
Ulla darlink. Gammel Ole er i koleskabe intil jule frokost med vore Tysk neigbors Thomas, Petra og Anna. Tusind tak. Hvad med Johnny? Kigger ham godt ud i den der chef jaket?

1:56pmUlla
He look fantastisk. So sweet of you Niel to send him this fine shirt.

1:58pmUlla
Lugter Gammel Ole lidt i dit køleskab?

2:00pmNeil
nej det va sa lidt. Johnny er sa remligt god to layer mel. Jeg kan godt husk. Lamb i haven ver en og min favorits.

Gamle Ole is still vacum sealed in what you sent him so he is not smelling. He looks like I just picked him out of the koleskabe at Fakta.

2:02pmUlla
Fantastisk. Jeg kan sende dig en ny Gammel Ole når som helst. Bare sig til.

2:02pmNeil
I ate the bread and served some at Saturday's end of the mortgage payment party. It had started to go and would not make the next party. I can actually buy a bread like this here in Vancouver that I will serve on Jule but Gamle Ole is a rare tropical viking treat unavailable here in this land of plenty.

2:04pmNeil
What is your telephone number? I would love to call Jule aften nar i dancer rund den Jule tre

2:12pmUlla
That would be wonderful deer Niel. Our number is 00%%^%$^%^%#$%%%. We are having duck with braun and white potatoes, sauce, redcabbages,prunes,appels and ricepudding. What are you having for chrismas?

2:17pmNeil
skont. I am doing rosemary and lavender crusted reindeer rack with a black truffle veal demi glaze. Roasted seasonal root veggies like parsnips, turnips, sweet potatoes. We also can buy the tiny blue potatoes from South America. I want to make a dish of these but using the braun kartofle recipie. Remind me how to make it? Isn't it just boiled potatoes, skinned and browned in butter and white sugar?

2:19pmNeil
Leftover lavender and rosemary short bread cookies from our party for desert. A romantic ending to a perfect Jule. MrD can figure out the time difference so we don't end up calling you in the morning 6 instead of the evening 6 ikke ogsa?

2:23pmUlla
. Wua. Fantastisk. You must be the best chef. (hvordan gør du det?)

2:31pmNeil
I just love to make food for myself and my husband and my friends and family. In that order... You Ulla darlink my stinky cheese sending venne both family and a friend. My job as the Trophy H is to prepare MrD breakfast, lunch and dinner 6 days a week. In exchange he stays at the computer and runs the empires back in Asia. I never make the same Trophy H meal twice. I have had to invent a lot of fun food. It is very Zen. The more new ways you slice veggies the more you easily slice through life.

2:34pmUlla
Neil you are just the best. MrD is are a very lucky man. Must repeat that-

5:38pmUlla is offline.

No comments:

Post a Comment