Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Trophy H's triumphant return home to MrD.

"If you never go away then how can I miss you?"
I am sure it was someone important I should remember who said that. I do know it was some smart person who said it. That I know. I know I have said it many times.
The last two days the trophy H has spent hours and hours and hours floating in a tin can and poof, hop, fly and he's leaving Manila, transiting in Hong Kong, and home again in Vancouver with MrD.
Flowers on the table? Good. Give MrD his due. There is always a welcome home bouquet of fresh flowers on the table when I return. Its part of his training for taking care of me.
I know its not just the chef MrD misses but he is downstairs still smacking his lips after tonight's dinner I prepared after a full day of marketing and starting to cook for Saturday's party.
My job is to prepare the finger foods. MrD has invited about 90 guests. I am planning on 30 to 40 will show up. Many of them attended our pizza party a few months back. I made 46 different kinds of trophy H pizza in 4 hours. The critics were blown away but I can't rest on those laurels. This menu has to top it. Its just what we trophy H's do.
This time I am not going to slave away in the kitchen. Did that. Done that. Not doing it on Saturday. Everything will be prepared in advance. I have hired a blond Eastern European actor/twink to be a waiter/bartender. He will work. I will mingle with MrD.
This event has nothing to do with this HO HO Christmas thing. Saturday afternoon's fiesta has nothing to do with the Jewish holiday. Thursday MrD and I have a meeting with our banking officer to pay off the last of our mortgage for our sky palace here in Vancouver.
Now, that calls for friends, a bit of bubbles and some finger foods.
I expressed my concern to MrD about a month ago that I was feeling a wee bit stressed about doing the food.
He told me, "You take care of the food and I will take care of the mortgage."
Its the balance of players that really makes the team.
Tonight I am cooling and pressing a meat terrine of duck, chicken and turkey laced with fois gras, black truffles and lavender. MrD enquired if I was making this pate for dinner or for the party. I told him to figure that out and get back to me. I got back to the truffles.
Black truffles and the finest lavender are my major two players in Saturday's finger food fantasia. That is all of the menu I am giving away. A trophy H needs some secrets. I have so few.
MrD got instead a Filipino inspired fusion dish. Venison adobo with the small plantain like Filipino "sava". I even opened him my last jar of homemade green mango pickles to serve as a side with some lavender barley instead of the more fattening rice.
Ah it is grand to be back. Did you miss me?

No comments:

Post a Comment