Friday, November 27, 2009

A red letter day.

Every year about this time when we are home in Manila it is the custom to give the staff who work in our condo a gift of cash. I am sure this is an Asian thing. I am fairly sure it comes from the Chinese because we are supposed to put the money in a red envelope and the Chinese do love their red.
MrD and I go through the list of 20 or so employees and decide who gets what and who gets more than that. We don't even know all their names so I have to ask for an updated list from the office. Once word gets around that the list has been asked for the attitude of the staff all seem to change. They just become more friendly. This builds up over the few days it takes before the delivery of the red envelopes and always makes me smile. I have no problems with the syrupy hellos or them rushing to press the elevator button for me. I am nicer to people who give me money too.
MrD and I just dropped off the cash downstairs with the receptionist so now we will have a day or two of thank yous and smiles and then things will get back to the way they are for the rest of the year.
It is cheaper than our staff in the office. They get an extra month's pay and a trip out of the country. This week they are all in Vietnam for 4 days.
Now that all the extras are taken care of I can get around to the true meaning of Xmas. Shopping for MrD and lovely gifts for myself the trophy H.
HO HO HO
Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment